At Tudor Grange Samworth Academy we use the following reading schemes in EYFS and KS1:
- Our phonics scheme is Read Write Inc.
- Flash Academy
- Accelerated Reader and Star Reader – For pupils with a reading age of 6 years and above. A guided reading programme that encourages pupils to read for pleasure with an online STAR assessment to track progression. Reports give us accurate data making sure pupils are reading at the correct level and with meaning.
- Accelerated Reader – Star Early Literacy – For pupils with a reading age below 6 years with a sight vocabulary of fewer than 100 words. Some pupils with English as their second language also benefit from this audio-visual programme. The diagnostic reporting gives staff information about individual pupils’ literacy skills, any gaps in their development and which skill sets they are ready to learn and practise.
Suggested Reading Lists
Click the links below for suggested reading lists for each school year:
DOWNLOAD: Year 1 Suggested Reading List
DOWNLOAD: Year 2 Suggested Reading List
DOWNLOAD: Year 3 Suggested Reading List
DOWNLOAD: Year 4 Suggested Reading List
DOWNLOAD: Year 5 Suggested Reading List
DOWNLOAD: Year 6 Suggested Reading List
Research has shown that audiobooks are a fantastic way to improve your child’s reading skills and, if they aren’t keen on picking up a book and reading to you or themselves, it might be a way to encourage them.
Listening to stories teaches children about how to use expression when reading and how to pace their reading. It will also expose them to new vocabulary that they might not have been able to read themselves. Most importantly it is something you can all sit and listen to together!
The information below will guide you on how to access audiobooks for your child. There are examples that are both free to use and also some subscription-based packages. You can use a phone, tablet or computer to access many of these.
The library has a wide range of audiobooks for children that you can download for free by just using your library card!
Sign up for this website using your class code and your child can read and also listen to a wide range of books including stories, non-fiction, graphic novels and comics. This is a fantastic resource and also tracks how much children read. There is an app or it can be used as a web page. Just ask your child’s class teacher for their class code.
LINK: Epic Website
This is a resource used in Key Stage 1 (Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 2). We use this website in school and all children also have their own login for access at home. If you need the login then just contact your child’s class teacher on class dojo. There are ebooks and audiobooks for you to use which will really help your child with their phonics knowledge.
LINK: Oxford Owl Website
There are lots of great podcasts available to download. There are so many different types available but these are some of the highest rated:
- Storynory – A new story is available each week but there are also lots in the back catalogue to listen to.
- What if World – Stories inspired by children’s questions such as what if cats ruled the world? Very funny to listen to.
- Sleep Tight Stories – Bedtime stories.
- Science Adventure Stories – As well as being good stories, these also contain facts and interesting information.
- Kids Only Podcast – These are funny stories that will appeal to younger children.
- Bedtime History – Stories about inspirational people from history.
There are many more to choose from and there are also some bedtime meditations if your child sometimes struggles to fall asleep at night.
This is probably the best subscription service around. Anything that you download you get to keep. There is a free 30 day trial period and then after that it is £7.99 a month. There are thousands of fantastic titles to choose from including most of the popular authors.
LINK: Audible Website