On Tuesday 18th December 2018, we were pleased to welcome Warning Zone into the academy to deliver the ‘Roadcrew: Crowd Control’ intervention. This was an interactive session designed to equip our y8, y9 and y10 students to become safer online. The themes covered included:
- The mentality of an online attacker
- Mass orchestrated online hate campaigns (Gamergate)
- Tactics used by online hate mobs
- Gender as a factor in online abuse
- How your information combines to reveal identities (Hunted Down)
- The risks taken online
- Spotting fake threats/reports
- The perils of not reading terms/conditions
- The pitfalls of attempting to dodge restrictions
- Strategies for strong passwords
- Being aware of and controlling your digital data trail
- Blackmail and how to escape it
Following the session students were able to ask questions and seek support and advice from experts and staff. The response to this confirmed that online safety needs to remain a priority for all of our students, parents and staff.
However, following this intervention it is hoped that the audience now think twice about some of the things that they previously would have engaged in, with very little thought.
Designated Safeguarding Lead